The time has come! You're moving to the City of Angels and you couldn't be more excited to make your dreams come true! Though the ride of making it in Hollywood is wild enough, so are the logistics of living in Los Angeles and the more prepared and aware you are, the better off you will be! Though there are a lot of incredible things about this city, there are also so many things you need to know in order to be safe and far from drowning in hot water emotionally and financially. Below are a few of my tips for those of you making the leap over to the West Coast! I have so many more and if you have any questions, please comment below and I'll be sure to answer them! For now though - here are my top 23 tips for artists moving to Los Angeles!
1. Wait Two Weeks or so Before you Move to Lock Down an Apartment.
2. Meet your possible roommates before moving
3. Pack lightly
4.Get canvas/reusable bags
5. If you have a dog, make sure to get an ESA letter for your landlord.
6. Lookup your neighborhood before moving – make sure it’s central and safe.
7. Live near a grocery store!
8. keep tabs on LA Weekly and Discover La
9. Street parking all the way!
10. Get a car or learn how to navigate the metro system right away.
11. There are a lot of Homeless - Even a Smile is enough.
12. Take time to explore on foot during the day – never at night and alone.
13. Get a Ralph’s Rewards card, Download the App and download your coupons!
14. Learn how to cook and do it at home!! Eating out is expensive!
15. Give yourself an hour no matter where you’re traveling.
16. Get your Universal Studios Annual pass right away
17. Get on Meetup, Surkus, and General Assembly to network and make new friends!
18. Thrift stores are your best friends – especially St. Vinnie’s.
19. Get Movie Pass
20. research before you invest
21. have a flexible job
22. come out with at least 3K and realistic expectations.
23. trust no one